Wednesday 24 December 2014

GAA Christmas Crackers 2014 – Quotes of the Year


“We will let them have a pint tonight, I don’t believe that it’s the worst thing possible that you can do in GAA to let fellas have an aul pint after being off it since Christmas!”
Anthony Daly allows the Dubs celebrate survival in Division 1A after a 4-13 to 1-17 play-off win against Waterford at Walsh Park.

“I just said to him he was lucky he got it because he made a balls of the first goal!”
Waterford minor bainsteoir Derek Lyons forgives goalkeeper Billy Nolan for an earlier error as the Roanmore stopper produced a wonder injury time save against Clare.

“He’s a better player than Cooper, he is one of the greatest I have ever seen. In my opinion, Cooper is a two trick pony.”
Following Kerry’s quarter final win over Galway, Martin McHugh got carried away with the scoring exploits of James O’Donoghue.

“I don’t know. I have no real phenomenal feelings. You want to win, you want to lose. We neither won nor lost. I am as I am, to be honest.”
Despite the 54 score thriller that unfolded at Croke Park, Brian Cody remained composed in the post-match press conference.

“They were handed an opportunity which was a complete wrong decision. We didn’t speak about it the last day but it was criminal what was done the last day. And people can say that I am whinging and moaning all they like but I am telling the truth.”
On a Sunday morning in City West, following Kilkenny’s replay triumph, Cody blasted Barry Kelly’s late call against Brian Hogan in the drawn game.

“Father Cullinane, he couldn’t make it but he has been unbelievable for us. We had a good mass this morning, he mentioned the match an awful lot during the mass and it was brilliant!”
Manager Adrian Meagher describes 8 am mass in Ballysaggart to accommodate the All Ireland semi final trip to Tullamore. The blue and navy hammered Sligo champions Calry/St Josephs by 4-13 to 0-8.

“In Conor Gleeson, I believe that The Nire have the best minor footballer in Munster never mind Waterford. If he could come in under the radar against Stradbally, he could punish them. He can score off either foot and he has got a great football brain.”
The words of former Waterford football manager John Kiely in Saturday’s Examiner prior to the county final. Man of the match Gleeson shot five from play and the Conway Cup returned to The Nire.

“That bloody knee of mine is giving me trouble with years. I just got a bit of a twist. I got a reminder that I shouldn’t be out in the middle of the field. Fair is fair. Dessie even said: ‘you eejit why don’t you run around the pitch’. He’s dead right!”
The Nire manager Benji Whelan saw the funny side after he injured his knee while delivering instructions during the county final. Referee Dessie O’Leary ushered him to the far side of the field.

“I just want to make one point clear, I’m only doing this interview for Billy Joe Padden.”
Armagh boss Paul Grimley breaks the media ban to speak with a former Orchard county player on Newstalk.

“It’s not a centre of excellence, there’s two fields there, how is that a centre of excellence? If I was a club person I would be looking for a review of that. That’s going to turn out as a centre of mediocrity.”
Dónal Óg Cusack criticises plans for the new Páirc Uí Chaoimh as Cork limp out of the championship to Tipperary.

“Joe Brolly told us the production line was finished in Kerry. Well Joe Brolly, what do you think of that?!”
A newspaper article earlier in the season prompted an emphatic reaction from All Ireland final goalscorer Kieran Donaghy.

No comments:

Post a Comment