Monday 23 December 2013

GAA Christmas Crackers 2013 - Quotes of the Year


“1948 is a long time ago. Sean T O’Kelly was the president, John A Costello was the Taoiseach, he took over from Eamonn De Valera, Noel Browne was the Minister for Health and it’s all over! Waterford are All Ireland champions for a third time, the first time since 1948. Waterford hurling is back on the big stage!”
A short history lesson from WLR FM commentator Kieran O’Connor before the final whistle sounds in the All Ireland minor final.

“Domhnall O’Donovan is the left corner back, he hits it, it’s over the bar! Oh Holy Moses what a match! I have never experienced anything like it.”
Marty Morrissey explodes with excitement as the Clare number two equalises in the last act from a drawn All Ireland of biblical proportions.

“When we were getting food I got brought aside and I didn’t know before that. Davy brought me aside and just said I was starting. I didn’t know before that. I thought it was brilliant, I always wanted to start. But I was a bit surprised alright.”
Shane O’Donnell on his short notice call-up for All Ireland final Saturday which was followed swiftly by 3-3, Liam McCarthy and man of the match glitz.

“My doctor Tom Higgins will be delighted because I came through a tough game without getting a heart attack!”
Peter Power survives another eventful afternoon on the sideline as Dungarvan CBS capture the Croke Cup in Semple Stadium.

“First question from me. Did any of ye get a prediction right?”
Michael Ryan turns the tables after a last gasp Jake Dillon free allows Waterford escape from Ennis with one point to spare.

“There was a big wind with us and it was a bit of a hit and hope. It was lucky enough I suppose but we’ll take it.”
Kevin Moran plays down his epic clincher against Tipperary that completed a six point turnaround.

“This game of Gaelic football has been infiltrated by a load of spoofers and bluffers, people with no experience in some cases of Gaelic football. Fellas with earpieces stuck in their ear, psychologists, statisticians and dieticians and we have forgotten the basic principles of the game.”
Pat Spillane hit a familiar stride during half time of Cavan versus Fermanagh.

“It’s pure constipated hurling. They’re so inhibited in everything they do. Look at Conal Keaney, remember that display two years ago in the league final against Kilkenny. The zip they had in them that day, that’s totally gone out of them.”
Ger Loughnane describes Dublin’s frustrating display, much to the amusement of Michael Lyster and Eddie Brennan, after the drawn Leinster quarter final with Wexford.

“What I witnessed last night made me very angry, particularly from the Wexford players. Nobody has a right to go out on the hurling field and pull across another guy’s head and I saw several examples of it last night. I thought it was absolutely disgraceful.”
Michael Duignan criticises the approach of the Model county to the replay in Parnell Park.

“If Waterford lose to Offaly in Saturday's All-Ireland qualifier, it will be a disaster.”
John Mullane lays it on the line in his Irish Independent column.

“I want nothing to do with that. It’s an absolute disgrace. I see Mickey Harte smiling and jumping up and down at the end like they achieved. I’ll tell you what, they achieved something absolutely rotten. I can’t believe somebody gave Sean Cavanagh a man-of-the-match award… it’s not within the rules, you’re not allowed rugby tackle a player to the ground. He’s a brilliant footballer but you can forget about Sean Cavanagh as a man.”
Joe Brolly’s outburst in the Sunday Game studios after Tyrone’s quarter final win over Monaghan.

“I remember going down the street and buying the Mi Wadi orange and biscuits and all that and having them on the table when they came in.”
Davy Fitzgerald created a homely atmosphere as the Clare players piled into his living room after losing to Cork in the Munster semi final.

“If I was there with a big grumpy head people would say that he doesn’t care. I show a bit of emotion and I get a slagging for it.”
Kieran O’Gorman absorbed plenty of stick for his animated expression in a photo of the minor management team following the All Ireland semi final.

“I’m shaking like a leaf in spring.”
Liam Aherne of Live 95 FM is swept up as Limerick shake up the Munster championship by taking out Tipperary.

“You only have to look around, there’s nothing but people in red tops with tears in their eyes.”
Merely moments after pulling the rug under Ballygunner with 2-4 in the space of seven minutes, Passage manager Peter Queally absorbed the enormity of their maiden county title.

“It’s a small area but what a heart. I will always say that Ballysaggart is the greatest place on earth. If there’s anyone around that wants to go anywhere be in Ballysaggart tonight because it’s going to be rocking.”
Ballysaggart boss Adrian Meagher in buoyant form after the blue and navy became the first Waterford club to attain Munster junior honours.

No comments:

Post a Comment